21 September 2010

Noah's first day of preschool

On September 14th, Noah attended his first day of preschool.  He will be attending preschool in Irvine near my parents' house. 

I was very anxious about his first day because this was the first time we have ever left him with someone other than a family member. On Tuesday morning, I labeled his clothing, packed his backpack and made him some waffles.  While I was prepping everything, he was watching Thomas the Train on his portable DVD player.  He spilled chocolate milk all over the DVD player and it stopped working!  AHHHH, not a great way to start the morning!  I'm happy that we ordered the extra warranty on it. I just need to take it to Best Buy to get it fixed. 

Since he is still very picky about what he wears (not into collars, button up shirts, jeans), I picked out a couple outfits for him and he ended up choosing his orange shirt and plaid shorts.  He still has not agreed to a haircut, so I had to put gel and hairspray in his hair to make sure it didn't end up in his eyes.  The morning flew and before we knew it, it was already noon and we needed to pack up for school.  I put a bag of popcorn in the microwave.  I'm continuing a tradition...my grandparents always made my brother and I eat popcorn on our first day of school.  They told me it was good luck. Popcorn is supposed to symbolize your mind opening up to new things. Noah munched on some popcorn, we took some pictures and we were off to school.  On the ride there, we listened to one of Noah's favorite Beatles songs, "All You Need Is Love."  In between singing the lyrics, he told me that he wanted me to stay with him at school.  I knew it was going to be a hard drop off!!!

Noah was fine when I first dropped him off.  He didn't cry...I didn't cry, but my heart was hurting.  I had a feeling that he was going to realize that I wasn't coming back anytime soon and freak out.  

Dex and I went to pick Noah up and we saw him running around in the playground.  He looked happy so I thought that everything turned out fine.  When we walked into class, he ran up to us and we gave each other big hugs.  His teacher told us that he got really mad and was looking out the window for us.  He clenched his fist, dropped to the ground and cried for awhile.  Noah told her that he didn't want to stay there.   His teacher took him for a walk and told him that the last thing they were going to do that day was play in the playground and once they were done with that, mommy and daddy would be there to pick him up.  Apparently he calmed down after that.  

He gave his teacher a hug goodbye and told me that she was really nice.  When I asked him if he was ready to go back, he said "No, I don't want to go to school."  

He ended up getting sick and didn't go to the Thursday class.  He made it to the next class, but he started crying the second we walked through the school gates.  He was crying and screaming so loud, I could hear him from the parking lot.  Poor guy...it's so heartbreaking!  My dad went to pick him up and he said he was fine.  I know it will get easier, but it's just so hard to watch him be so sad and angry!

in front of mama and papa's house
In front of preschool
he put his name tag on and was starting to look worried
playing with puzzles when I first dropped him off

No comments: