Our beautiful son, Caden "Cade" Mikala was born on February 18, 2011 at 2:14 am! He was 6 lbs. 7 oz. and 18 inches long.
NAME
Caden = "CA" from Cathleen, "DE" from Dexter, and "N" from Noah and Naomi.
Mikala = Surfer, Mikala Jones, that Dex likes and met in Hawaii.
Mikala = Surfer, Mikala Jones, that Dex likes and met in Hawaii.
DELIVERY
Cade came earlier than expected, he was born at exactly 38 weeks. My OB described my delivery as "precipitous!"
Here is how it went down...(as I remember it). Times are approximate.
Thursday night
Thursday night
7:00 pm Dex arrived home from Burbank (he was staying there Monday - Thursday). On his drive home, he had a feeling that Cade may arrive soon due to the full moon.
11:00 pm Lower back pain started. Told Dex that I think Cade was going to arrive that night. We both changed out of our pjs and got ready to go. Dex called Dad N.
11:45 pm Started to feel painful lower back contractions. Timing was about 5-6 minutes apart. Dex called his dad to come over right away. I started to freak out as my doctor indicated that I should be heading to the hospital as soon as my contractions were 7 minutes apart, they were never that far apart!
![]() |
| me in the guest room... ready to go to the hospital |
Friday morning
12:40 am Dad N. arrived to watch Noah (he's fast asleep).
12:45 am Dex and I left for the hospital. I called my doctor and stated that we were heading to the hospital.
12:55 am Dex realized he left his cell phone at house. We head back to the house to pick up phone. Thank God we were pretty close to home!
1:00 am Dex speeds to Mission Hospital. It is a 42 mile drive from our house and Dex made it in a little over 30 minutes. At that point, my contractions were about 4 minutes apart and 20-30 seconds long.
![]() |
| Mission Hospital (picture taken during one of my previous doctor appointments) |
1:35 am We arrived at emergency room. I walked in, but I didn't make it very far. I sat down as soon as I saw a chair. It felt like Cade's head was going to pop out. Dex attempted to check us in and gets angry with the triage employees for not showing a sense of urgency. He screamed, "My wife is about to give birth, we need a wheelchair right away!" Instead of asking someone to grab us a wheelchair, the triage employee asks for my ID and insurance card. Dex walks back to me and I manage to find my cards. They finally checked us in and we were off to labor and delivery.
1:40 am Smiling nurses greeted us and indicated it was a busy night due to the full moon. My contractions were about 2-3 minutes apart and off the charts! They immediately call my doctor and stated that I was ready to deliver. My doctor's reaction was, "WOW!!!" The nurse checked "down there" and I knew from the look on her face that it was too late for an epidural. I was already 10 cm and 100% effaced. She told us not to be alarmed since she was going to be calling in the whole crew. Minutes later, about 5 nurses were in the room and it was time!!! My legs were in position and they told me to blow through my contractions and not to push until the doctor arrives. The nurse kept saying, "blow like your blowing out birthday candles."
1:50 am I continued to squeeze Dex's right hand with every contraction. I screamed to Dex, "I don't know why anyone would ever choose to do this again!" I give props out to the women who CHOOSE natural delivery over an epidural. Natural delivery is f'in painful.
2:00 am Nurse is trying to put my IV in and says..."Try not to make any sudden movements." Of course, at that second, my WATER BREAKS!
2:10 am Dr. Faraz arrived and I am relieved!!! She put her purse down, washed her hands, put her gloves on, told the nurses to move my bed up, instructed me to pull my knees towards my face and PUSH.
2:14 am (exact time) After 2 big pushes, CADE arrived! Dex cut the umbilical cord and we heard the cry of our gorgeous baby. Holding him for the first time was well worth the drama and the pain :).
I am amazed at how everything fell into place. I was ecstatic that Dex was home, that my father-in-law was able to come over and that we had enough time to make it to the hospital! Apparently, full moons = babies!
Our hearts are filled with love!!!
![]() |
| Noah put a heart on Cade's head, he adores him! |



3 comments:
I love the meaning of Cade's name=)What a beautiful experience. I'm so happy for you & your family!!!
Love this birth story. Haha!! Caden's meaning is awesome but the meaning behind Mikala? Almost as good!
When I read this, my face goes through a bunch of different expressions .. LOL. Girl - you are awesome!
Post a Comment